27 May 2015

A Cushion Cover

Hello, everyone! Today, I'm sharing with you a new project that came about rather unexpectedly. I'll go into more specifics in a later post, but for now, let's have a look at the pics.

Oh yes, that's a future cushion cover! And for more granny squares, go to Jijihook's! :)

20 May 2015

Mandala Bag - Update

Hello everyone! So sorry I haven't posted the past two weeks, I'm not sure where the time has been! Today, I'd like to give you an update about the future mandala bag, which is progressing slowly but surely.

As you may remember, the mandala side of the bag was fully done, with only the ends needing to be woven in...

And the flip side had just been started (see here). This is where it's at now, with eight more rows to go:

Now, I love the colours, BUT I'm not a huge fan of the htr stitch I went for, and especially the standing htrs I used to start the rows. So I am considering frogging the whole thing and starting again with trebles instead. We'll see.

For more granny squares, go to Jijihook's, as always.

Thanks for reading, guys! :)

06 May 2015

A long-time WIP

Hello my lovelies! OK, so confession is in order, I'm afraid. I haven't been doing much crochet-wise lately. Mind you, I did work on the flip side of the future mandala bag, but, ahem, I might possibly have forgotten to take pictures in time for today's Granny Square Challenge. Duh.

Sooo, today, I am taking you back in time, to a WIP that has been lurking around my crochet lair for a good 2 years. This is a bag made with classic granny squares in variegated yarn, those very ones (same ball of yarn, by the way, Lang Jawoll Magic, most likely discontinued by now)...

...and block-coloured cotton yarn (Rico Essentials DK for the most part). The reason why said WIP has been on such an extended hiatus is that I am not quite sure how to make the bag rigid enough.

Anyway, here's the thing, without any kind of rigid fabric propping it up:

The oversized buttons are actually meant to hide the unsightly seam that can be created when working in rounds of UK dcs. That was before I knew of this amazing technique to get an almost invisible join. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Obviously, the bag will have a lining, which is actually fully finished and ready to be inserted.

BUT... and this is where my 'problem' lies: the bag is a boxy shape and is too floppy to look good as is. It needs some kind of propping up. So I went with cross-stitch fabric and started to sew panels into the sides and bottom of the bag, like so...

At some point along the way, I had doubts, and the project has been in limbo ever since. Which is a shame, because I find this bag so lovely. It's probably a self-confidence thing. Hopefully it will pass. Surely I will be able to finish it one day... I'll keep you posted of course :)

In the meantime, Granny Square fest is this way as usual, and I'll see you very soon!

Thanks for reading :)